Lockdown has provided a new challenge for our clients wanting to update their staff photography on their website, the reality of getting everyone together for a professional photo shoot in a studio seems like a far-fetched idea.
The good news is that modern phones have almost everything you need to capture a decent photo. Here's our guide to getting a good quality professional photo or selfie that you'll be happy to have on your company website.
- If you are on iPhone, use Portrait mode on the camera. You can also try using the 'Lensa' app to remove unflattering shadows - download here for iOS or Android.
- Stand against a wall with a window in front of you for natural light, but not directly in sunlight.
- Send us the largest file size you have.
- Make sure the picture looks like you.
- Your face should take up 60% of the frame.
- Don't crop your shoulders off, make sure there is a bit of breathing space around you - we can crop you closer but it's much harder to add your shoulders back into a photo.
- Wear what you wear to work in the office.
- Be the only person in the picture.
- Look directly into the camera, looking off-camera makes you look a bit shifty.
- Avoid distracting backgrounds/keep the background simple, please avoid wallpaper/patterns/furniture.
- Smile! A study of 800 profile pictures found that people view you as more likeable, competent, and influential if you smile in your picture.
- Provide three versions that you like, from a simple 'trust me' smile to a broad cheesy grin.
If you are in need of something more professional and consistent for your photographs though, we work with a wonderful photographer who can take your professional head-shots outdoors and provide a range of high quality retouched digital files for your use. Just get in touch if you would like to know more.