Dolly the Sheep will make you eat your words
Dolly the Sheep sadly passed away in 2003. The most famous sheep in the world may be no longer with us, but she can teach us a valuable lesson about being a clone in the online world.
You see the thing is, there are millions of companies out there just like yours that have websites. And the content on these websites all sounds the same.
We’re talking phrases such as:
- We provide solutions for your business.
- We’re cost-effective and professional.
- Customer service is important to us.
- We are experts in xyz and have a wealth of experience.
Being a clone when it comes to how you communicate online is a huge missed opportunity.
There’s nothing innovative or exciting about being a clone in this regard, unlike when young Dolly was revealed to the world.
Your company is made up of unique individuals that make it different from every other company in the world.
So why on earth would you want to fit in and sound like everyone else in your industry?
Cloned copywriting screams out the following:
- You didn’t think your website content was important enough to spend time on.
- Your business really is like all the others and has nothing different to offer.
- You consider your business to be more important than the needs of your clients.
- You’ve done no target market research and just ‘played it safe’.
What’s your business all about? What really makes it tick? Why would potential customers care about those things? What motivates you to get out of bed in the morning and go to work?
Cloned content is a sin. Get your thinking cap on and put your personality on your website. Dreary copy doesn’t drive sales and enquiries.
Did you put all those hard hours of work into your business just to sound like everyone else?
Take a look at your company’s website now. Is it full of stock phrases such as those mentioned above that don’t really mean anything? If so, now is the time to do something about it.
You can’t please all of the people all of the time.
It’s much better to have web content that gets across the personality of your business and attracts like-minded clients, than trying to appeal to everyone with the same ‘wishy-washy’ content your competitors have.
Don’t be afraid to stand out from the crowd. Dolly the Sheep is gone. And your cloned content should be a thing of the past too.